Thursday 17 March 2011

17/03/2011


Above;  Mount Edgecumbe                                                                                         (Alaska)


Comic Relief tomorrow night. Love Comic Relief me! I don’t wish to blow my own trumpet but I love to do my bit for charity as you know. I work to the motto ’you get what you give’.
Was planning to do a hike up Kilimanjaro to raise some funds but there were too many bloody jabs required and Dar Es Salaam looks a bit edgier than Dubai. So I settled for a sponsored walk up that hill to Mount Edgecumbe House from where you get off the Cremyll Ferry. I raised £16.07! Big Pete sponsored me a tenner. I ended up spending a bit of it on a bacon sarnie from El Vera’s café, the ferry fare and a Fab lolly from the Orangery though. I’m sure that what I was left with will buy a school in Chad or something although I had to dip into the change from the Fab to buy the envelope and stamp to send the rest to Terry Wogan. I wont be buying a new nose though - the ‘88 classic plain red nose will not be beaten in my opinion, far too gimmicky these days, I’ll just give mine a dust and it’ll be good as new!
Made sure I didn’t tick the ‘gift aid’ box on the sponsor form though - don’t want those sods at HMRC getting involved!
It was pretty gruelling getting up that near vertical slope though, had to take a break about half way up, altitude sickness I think. Think Touching the Void but with more swearing. I was almost beset by some ferocious looking squirrels at one point.

Had the journos on the phone disturbing my celebratory cream tea when I got to Mt. Edgecumbe’s summit (do they even do cream tea in Tanzania?). The reception was a bit dodgy up there at the peak though and all I could make out was that the staff at Home Park were all signing some sort of Well Done card for me? Really its nothing honestly, just doing my bit for the downtrodden - you’ll make me blush.


After my intrepid adventure I went over to have a look at that building they put up over there in honour of one of our all time greats, The Yoann Folly. Its in a sad state of repair - bloody spending cuts! If those do-gooders the Green Taverners are looking for a really worthwhile project there it is, no-one should be allowed to forget the invaluable contribution he made to our club.

No comments:

Post a Comment